- Global Bass : You have long endorsed La Bella strings.
- Alain Caron : For a long time now.
- Global Bass : Why La Bella versus the hundreds of other types of string available?
- Alain Caron : When I first started to play 6 string bass, there was no low B available on the market. By accident I met the La Bella distributor here in Quebec. He told me that he could give me the direct phone number and they could build me the exact string I wanted. So that was how it started. It could easily have been another company.
I called them and I told them I would like to have them build me a low B. They sent me a couple samples and we met, and they asked me if I would like to endorse the strings. I liked the string, but we kept developing different models. We are still working on different models for them.
- Global Bass : So for you it isn’t just that you endorse a string because they will send you free boxes of them. The same with F Basses, you are actively involved in the development of the product. You are helping them and they are helping you.
- Alain Caron : Yes, I don’t want or need free strings. I have the same thing with EDEN Ampifiers. I use their Navigator preamplifier. David Nordshow, the owner of the company, I don’t know how many cabinets he has sent me to try. I keep saying to him, “No this is not right, this is right, this is better”. When he designed the Navigator, he sent me a list of things I would like to see on a preamplifier, so definitely I want to work with this company.
More and more I am going to do things with Roland as well. I’ve actually been working with Roland for years, doing clinics with them but more and more I am going to be involved with other Roland products for bass. It is going to be very interesting, but I cannot say more than that at this point.
On my last record I used their digital board, it was incredible. It’s 24-Bit with onboard effects, the A to D (analog to digital-Editor) converter sounds incredible, it sounds warm and fat. It’s definitely incredible, I have it in my studio right now!
(Full interview available here)